Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Random question pops up in my head regarding maturity. Guess I asked myself if I was mature enough. I suppose that's funny perhaps it is more difficult for me to see how I've changed than from someone that has not seen me in some time. Or if I look at an old picture and then I go "whoa, that was me?".

I find that there have been plenty of times I have been immature and those moments still happen, but I am content in being aware when it happens and what I can do to reduce it. I don't think immaturity necessarily goes away, because sometimes it just happens and in our emotional weaknesses it gets the better of us...BUT we can be proactive about how we deal with it. And I think that's the path I'm going on.

I remember reading this old article we got in high school from our English teacher about maturity. I kept it and passed it on to some co-workers. I liked the simplicity of it and of course it always helped me think about whether I was mature enough. I don't have the article now, but with the wonders of the internet (seriously, doesn't it spoil us in so many ways?) I found what I think are some parts of it:

"Maturity is the ability to control anger and settle differences without violence or destruction

Maturity is patience, the willingness to pass up immediate pleasure in favor of the long-term gain.

Maturity is perseverance, the ability to sweat out a project or a situation in spite of opposition and discouraging setbacks.

Maturity is unselfishness-responding to the needs of others, often at the expense of one's own desires or wishes.

Maturity is the capacity to face unpleasantness and frustration, discomfort and defeat, without complaint or collapse.

Maturity is humility. It is being big enough to say. "I was wrong." And, when right, the mature person need not say, "I told you so."

Maturity is the ability to make a decision and stand by it. The immature spend their lives exploring and endless possibilities, then do nothing.

Maturity means dependability, keeping one's word, coming through in the crisis. The immature are masters of the alibi - confused and disorganized. Their lives are a maze of broken promises, former friends, unfinished business and good intentions which never materialize.

Maturity is the art of living in peace with that which we cannot change"

Most of that seems pretty obvious or self clear, but as always, what I say is that, good, it should be simple and clear, because the hard part is the practice, as it should be. I like to think that I practice all of the above, sometimes succeeding more so in some than others...but they are goals I strive for. If anyone out there thinks of me as immature, then I do welcome the opportunity to listen so I can reflect on it. It may be they are right, it may be they are wrong, but I value the perspective. I think that as I begin to settle down into a new environment, having just secured a job, but needing a place to live and some transportation, I am changing some things about me (in a good way!) and I hope to continue to practice the art of maturity. Having said that, I'm getting older and grown up, but that should never come at the expense of the inner child.

And lastly, a nice quote I found, with a minor tweak of my own:

"Never take someone for granted. Hold those you care about and love close to your heart because you might wake up one day and realize that you've lost a diamond while you were busy collecting stones"

No comments: